Monday, May 19, 2014

Physical Therapy revolation! (Kind of a long story)

So I have been dealing with Back issues for almost 15years now.  Started when I was 23 and I was diagnosed then as having degenerative arthritis in my lower back (R-rays & an MRI).  I was even sent and checked for rheumatoid arthritis.  I was prescribed several difference arthritis meds and pain meds.   Where some worked and some didn't.  I then got the bright idea of moving to NYC, where then I fell into freelance theatre work and couldn't afford insurance so I ignored the pain, or well self medicated.  Motrin became my best friend.  So that went on for 10 yrs.

I finally got smart and decided insurance was more important I went back to the corporate world so I could get health coverage.   So I went to a DR in NYC to address my back issues and Insomnia.   They did an X-ray and told me there was nothing wrong with my back and that was it she didn't suggest anything else....  BUT she prescribed me a pain med anyway.  I took them and didn't argue.    Now I moved back to PA and again decided I would get my back looked at and try to figure out why it bothers me so.  Same thing the Dr here ordered X-Rays and nothing.  She was like there is nothing that shows wrong with your back.  BUT she re did my prescription for the pain med.  Now at this point I am pissed and thinking WHY if there is nothing wrong with my back why re-prescribe me pain meds.  I also had other issues with her that I wont bore you with the details.  So I went on a hunt for a new Dr.

I found her.  she listens, she remembers things I tell her from one appt to the next (or at least she actually reads her notes before seeing me).  She said based on the R-xay there was no real reason to send me to get an MRI.  So she wanted me to try Physical Therapy to help me manage the pain and for them to look at my spine and see if there are other causes for the pain.    Which that was more then any of the other Dr's suggested.

Well what a Revelation that Appt was!!!!!  5/15 was my first appt, and I didn't have high hopes for it but when I walked out I was amazed! So in a nut shell all my muscles are super tight in my hips and back and are causing a twist in my spin. Which causes my muscles to tight basically strangle my spine trying to protect it.   That is what is causing my pain.  He said he wouldn't rule out some issues with arthritis, but he thinks this is the main reason for my pain.  My hip flexors are so tight they pull my hips up and back  instead of down and front, which causes a curve in my back .  This also causes me to adjust and stand forward and on the balls of my feet instead of back and on my heels which could be the reason for my poor balance (which will be a major issue for derby). 

So now comes the arduous task of correcting what comes natural to me.     First task he has me doing stomach in.  I have to remind myself like 100 times a day.  I have notes at home and at my desk.  How long does it take for muscle memory to kick in and my body naturally wants to hold my stomach in?  I guess that is a question for Thomas this week!

Oh and the other awesome thing about my PT, he has worked with derby girls in the past and he knows that is one of my goals so I feel that is an added bonus in my training for tryouts in July!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment